The 7-point plan
This plan identifies a set of seven tangible, actionable and scalable steps that will make it possible to increase Black homeownership by 3 million net new homeowners by 2030; an increase of more than 10 percentage points in the Black homeownership rate, bringing it to a level never previously attained. From there, new strategies will be developed to close the racial homeownership gap completely.
The 7-point steps are focused not only on bringing in new homeowners but also sustaining existing homeowners. They are complementary and need to be worked on simultaneously in order to increase the effectiveness.
HOW IT WORKS
The numbers tell the story
The numbers tell the story. Bringing the Black homeownership rate up to that of white households would require increasing the number of existing Black homeowners by roughly 5 million, an increase of approximately 72%.
Expanding Homeownership for All
These recommendations reflect the work product of over 100 housing leaders that span the political spectrum in every area of housing advocacy and industry. It is the culmination of two years of work and hundreds of hours of meetings by the Steering Committee, as well as five workstreams that specifically addressed the unique challenges and opportunities regarding mortgage lending; housing production; counseling and down payment assistance; civil and consumer rights; and marketing.
Did you Know?The rate of Black homeownership has plummeted to levels not seen since segregation in housing was legal.
IT TAKES A VILLAGE
- Affordable Homeownership Foundation, Inc.
- Affordable Housing Centers of Pennsylvania
- AGORA Community Services Corporation, NFP
- Arizona Housing Coalition
- Alyssa Bell
- Bank of America
- Cal HFA
- Center for Community Progress
- Center for NYC Neighborhoods
- Central Jersey Housing Resource Center Corp.
- Centre for Homeownership & Economic Development Corporation, Inc.
- CHES, Inc.
- Chhaya CDC
- Rob Chrane
- Citizens’ Housing and Planning Association
- Commerce Mortgage
- Community Development Network of Maryland
- Community Housing Development Corporation of North Richmond
- Consumer Credit and Budget Counseling, Inc (d/b/a National Foundation for Debt Management)
- Consumer Credit Counseling Service of Buffalo, Inc.
- Consumer Credit Counseling Services of Maryland
- Conrad Egan
- eHome America
- Florida Alliance for Community Solutions, Inc.
- Framework Homeownership
- Frayser CDC
- Greater KC Housing Information Center
- Guild Mortgage
- Habitat for Humanity International
- Habitat for Humanity of Minnesota
- HomeFree USA
- Homeowners Employment Corporation
- Hope Enterprise Corporation/Hope Credit Union
- Housing Action Illinois
- Housing Options Provided for the Elderly, Inc.
- Housing Partnership Equity Trust
- Housing Policy Council
- JPMorgan Chase & Co.
- Sarah Bainton Kahn
- Keuka Housing Council, Inc.
- Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights
- Long Island Housing Services, Inc.
- Low Income Investment Fund
- Mainestream Finance
- Manufactured Housing Institute
- Margert Community Corporation
- Massachusetts Affordable Housing Alliance
- Milken Institute
- Minnesota Homeownership Center
- Mortgage Bankers Association
- Movin’ Out, Inc.
- National Association of Hispanic Real Estate Professionals
- National Association of Real Estate Brokers
- National Association of REALTORS©
- National CAPACD
- National Community Reinvestment Coalition
- National Community Stabilization Trust
- National Council of State Housing Agencies
- National Fair Housing Alliance
- National Housing Conference
- National Housing Resource Center
- National NeighborWorks Association
- National Urban League
- Navicore Solutions
- Neighborhood Housing Services of Chicago
- Neighborhood Housing Services of South Florida, Inc.
- NeighborWorks America
- New American Funding
- Newtown Community Development Corporation
- NHS Brooklyn, CDC, Inc.
- Jackie O’Garrow
- Olive Hill Community Economic Development Corporation, Inc.
- Open Communities
- Project LIFT
- Proud Ground
- Quicken Loans
- Rensselaer County Housing Resources, Inc.
- RUPCO, Inc.
- Rural Community Assistance Corporation
- Sconiers Homeless Preventive Organization, Inc.
- SKA Marin
- Sowing Empowerment & Economic Development, Inc
- Springfield Housing Authority
- SSG Community Solutions
- St. Petersburg Neighborhood Housing Services, Inc. (d/b/a Neighborhood Home Solutions)
- Take Charge America, Inc.
- The Homeowners Employment Corporation
- The Waterfront Project, Inc.
- Troy Rehabilitation and Improvement Program, Inc.
- U.S. Mortgage Insurers
- Ubuntu Institute of Learning
- Universal Housing Solutions CDC
- Up For Growth
- Urban Land Institute Terwilliger Center for Housing
- Deena Wilke
- Ventura County Community Development Corporation
- Youngstown Neighborhood Development Corporation